Promoting Linux thru constant advocacy. Let's share our wins and failures- so we can learn from both

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 12:08:45 CDT 2008

This is a personal challenge of a type we all should be doing absent
any comment needed to motivate us.

It's a simple yet non-trivial tasking. Each time we make the effort to
advocate the use of Linux and/or F/OSS projects ends as a win or a
fail. With the lesser victory of at least teaching awareness to build
mindshare. Thru positive advocacy and showing what advantages Linux
and/or F/OSS have to offer. And doing so in a fashion where we abstain
from trash talking other models of coding or licensing. Folks- do we
want Linux to be associated with "those anti-profit freaks" or a more
level headed perception? It's said one catches more flies with one
fluid over another. We've all arguably been guilty of that mistake eh?

. If I've not been explicit enough? I wish to see Linux and F/OSS
displace non-free code for ethical considerations alone. Arguing for
or against the ethics of non-free code is off topic in this concept!.
Let's *NOT* go there ok? so what's "On Topic?"

Posting the encounters where we or someone we know- Advocates a Linux
world software for application - and how the advocacy resolves.. Did
Linux become a preferred tool?  Or did inertia prevail? I trust you
see the intent.   With that said?

Here's one of my most recent tries-  first was a friend with a virus
wrecked win98 laptop. Damn Small was demoed as able to get him online
for email. then we did an overnight run of recovery tools to save the
majority of his data.  Instead of wiping his drive  yet- he's simply
not mounting it when he runs DSL in the toram mode. He's a bit hopeful
his employer may yet pay for sending his drive to some mythical
service. But - We have a newly minted Linux user and perhaps a KCLUG
mamber too
He's not yet fully comfortable with the Linux way- but in time?

--
Oren Beck

816.729.3645