Flash alternatives

Sean Crago cragos at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 21:58:49 CDT 2008

The recent posts asking about Adobe reminded me of an issue I've been having
for some time. The bundled reader in Mac OSX is nigh-infinitely faster (even
on arcane 300mhz G3 processors) than anything I've ever seen for Windows and
Linux. The only thing I've seen that comes close in terms of performance is
the Windows shareware Foxit Reader. Evince et al have certainly made great
strides in terms of speed, and it's certainly simpler and sucks less than
Adobe's Reader, but it's still not nearly as fast, responsive, and easy to
use as Apple's Preview. I still see "Loading...." far too often on an Athlon
X2. Using Evince or the bundled PDF reader in Maemo, on an N800 with specs
that really aren't all that different from the old Mac I used to have, I'm
forced to waste so much time reading a PDF that I have to go all old-school
and run pdf2html and read it with fbreader.

Is there anything out there that's substantially faster than Evince?

Thanks,
Sean Crago