Adobe Flash in Firefox on Ubuntu 7.10

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 21:27:10 CDT 2008

--- On Mon, 9/8/08, Jon Pruente <jdpruente at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM,
> <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:
> > While I am not familiar with doing it at all in
> > Ubuntu.  Ubuntu supposedly had a package called
> > ubuntu-restricted-extras which was a quick and
> > dirty way to get common proprietary software
> > installed.
>
> I've almost always got it installed by visiting a
> Flash based site and following the nice requesters
> that come up about it.  I do recall a bit of trouble
> at some point, but it was about getting Flash sound
> enabled on certain systems.  I run 8.04 at home, but
> I do all the tech support on a 7.10 system at a
> friends house as their only PC.  They visit Flash
> heavy sites all the time and never complain about it.
> Heck, the only complains so far were an interrupted
> update that killed X and CDs that didn't play well
> that turned out to be scratched.'

Right now my main system is still running 7.10 (I have issues with how 8.04 handles my frequent "ftp server with login" server connections through the File Browser) and I had no trouble setting up Flash using the installer off Adobe.com.

I only recently learned about the ubuntu-restricted-extras package, but when I used it, it didn't seem to grab Flash for me so I had to go to the Adobe site anyway.  Generally on a new install I go through "Add/Remove" and install all the GStreamer-restricted codec packages, as well as Avidemux (another restricted extra), but Flash remains an external package install.