Google Chrome

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 13:08:25 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Nathan Cerny <ncerny at gmail.com> wrote:

>> My work computer is a fresh install of Windows Vista (it's 2 weeks old
> today).  So I'm running on an IE7 profile/Firefox profile that is 2 weeks
> old.  And a chrome profile that's a day and a half old.  With a single tab
> open, IE7 is in the 60MB range of memory usage.  Under my normal load, it's
> closer to 140MB.  Firefox was at over 120MB (with multiple tabs open...since
> I've since uninstalled firefox I can't give you better numbers than that).
> Chrome was sitting at 25MB with 2 tabs open.  Now in Linux it's completely
> different - I swear by firefox.

Well, in Linux you don't have many other options.  ;-)

> But, numbers aside...when I say IE7 outperforms Firefox 3, I'm referring to
> overall feel and speed.  The same site would load faster in IE7 (or so it
> felt due to the feel of the browser).  I have browser windows open for weeks
> at a time usually - Firefox's footprint would continue to grow and get to
> the point where my computer was unusable until I closed it.  IE7 doesn't
> have this same type of leak (or it's much smaller).  I haven't had chrome
> installed long enough to know if it has any major memory leaks or not...I
> would assume so, but hope not.  But so far I really like the lightweight
> feel to it.

Well, every benchmark I've seen says that your experience is anecdotal.  I'm
also wondering if you're talking about Firefox _2_, and not 3.  You've said
"weeks at a time", and Firefox 3 hasn't been out very long.

Firefox 2 would bloat up, memory-wise, after extensive use.  One of Firefox
3's biggest improvements is in the area of speed and memory management.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that