Google Chrome

Nathan Cerny ncerny at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 08:08:01 CDT 2008

> And this site seems to imply that chrome should be running far more
>> resource-dependant than the other browsers out there - I have been running
>> it since it's release yesterday, and I am very impressed.  It outperforms
>> IE7 in all aspects...and IE7 outperforms firefox 3 in all aspects (I was
>> shocked too when I realized it).  Of course, this is all on my computer at
>> work, because I run only linux at home ;)
>>

> You're kidding me, right?  When you say IE7 "outperforms", could you be
> more specific?  Have you looked at your memory utilization?  Open up more
> than one tab, please.

My work computer is a fresh install of Windows Vista (it's 2 weeks old
today).  So I'm running on an IE7 profile/Firefox profile that is 2 weeks
old.  And a chrome profile that's a day and a half old.  With a single tab
open, IE7 is in the 60MB range of memory usage.  Under my normal load, it's
closer to 140MB.  Firefox was at over 120MB (with multiple tabs open...since
I've since uninstalled firefox I can't give you better numbers than that).
Chrome was sitting at 25MB with 2 tabs open.  Now in Linux it's completely
different - I swear by firefox.

But, numbers aside...when I say IE7 outperforms Firefox 3, I'm referring to
overall feel and speed.  The same site would load faster in IE7 (or so it
felt due to the feel of the browser).  I have browser windows open for weeks
at a time usually - Firefox's footprint would continue to grow and get to
the point where my computer was unusable until I closed it.  IE7 doesn't
have this same type of leak (or it's much smaller).  I haven't had chrome
installed long enough to know if it has any major memory leaks or not...I
would assume so, but hope not.  But so far I really like the lightweight
feel to it.

Then again, I've always been a fan of fluxbox ;)  Unfortunately I run KDE,
but that's just because I'm too lazy to figure out how to get everything to
work well in fluxbox...and KDE has apps for everything I want :)