Google Chrome

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 02:43:47 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 00:46, Jeffrey Watts <jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com> wrote:
> However the lack of extensions and add-ons is a HUGE shortcoming.

At this point, there is far too much momentum in Firefox' add-ons
community for any browser, to ever, overtake it.  IMHO, Google should
have made their browser compatible with FF plugins somehow with their
google magic.

> The bookmark system is also primitive as well.  Firefox3's is really slick
> (use the tags, Luke). Firefox3's awesome bar is pretty comparable to
> chrome's.

I keep hearing I need to try tagged bookmarks...  "Awesome bar"?  What
about a "supermega fantastico bar"?  Surely that would be better.

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:43 PM, Nathan Cerny <ncerny at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It outperforms
>> IE7 in all aspects...and IE7 outperforms firefox 3 in all aspects (I was
>> shocked too when I realized it).

Try comparing the two on a fresh user profile without months-years of
cruft in IE, and barely nothing in Chrome's.  I thought Chrome was
about as fast on windows as Firefox was on GNU+Linux.  However,
everything *else* on that windows machine was dog slow, and everything
else on the Linux machine was fast.  My point being if Chrome can live
up to Firefox in 'harsh' conditions, maybe it can out do it on even
ground.

> The backend design is really nice, and
> ought to lead to innovation on the Mozilla and Microsoft side.

The one process per tab approach is nice.  I just wish the process
would be called with the url as the arguments somehow, so you could
watch sites by URL in top.

> I'm interested in seeing where they go with it, but I hardly think it's
> worth getting into a fanboy love-fest about it yet.

Praise our new and glorious overlords!

> P.S.  I'm using Chrome to type this.

How'd you get the installer to take in Wine?

I thought (assuming their speed improvements were real) the JavaScript
engine they wrote will probably be useful to other browsers if nothing
else.  How long will it be until they start using our browser history
to target ads... uh, I mean sponsored links!!!

Chrome is a beta, but I don't think you are testing their browser out.
 I think this is the earliest pre-release of be beginning of the
Google OS, and they are beta testing users out.  In a few years, the
browser will *be* the OS sofar as "normal people" know.  Heck, my
family thinks I boot Open Office.  Slap a slim kernel on in-behind
Chrome, "cloud storage" and browser sync, a primitive hardware
compatibility layer (oh I dono, using Google gears somehow maybe?),
and it will do just what 90% of people want.