Google Chrome

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 00:46:20 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:43 PM, Nathan Cerny <ncerny at gmail.com> wrote:

> While that was interesting, most of the points were moot.  Yes, almost
> everything in chrome is something someone else has already came up with.
> But chrome took all the good points from all these other browsers and
> created a browser that implements them all well.

Well...  From a minimalistic, stripped-down perspective it's really nice.
However the lack of extensions and add-ons is a HUGE shortcoming.  Yes, for
the novice user that's not that big a loss, but most of us Linux users are
power users, no?

The bookmark system is also primitive as well.  Firefox3's is really slick
(use the tags, Luke). Firefox3's awesome bar is pretty comparable to
chrome's.

And this site seems to imply that chrome should be running far more
> resource-dependant than the other browsers out there - I have been running
> it since it's release yesterday, and I am very impressed.  It outperforms
> IE7 in all aspects...and IE7 outperforms firefox 3 in all aspects (I was
> shocked too when I realized it).  Of course, this is all on my computer at
> work, because I run only linux at home ;)

You're kidding me, right?  When you say IE7 "outperforms", could you be more
specific?  Have you looked at your memory utilization?  Open up more than
one tab, please.

Don't get me wrong, Chrome's neat.  I can see why Google is doing this, and
it will up the ante in the browser wars.  That's good.  From a UI
perspective it's not revolutionary. The backend design is really nice, and
ought to lead to innovation on the Mozilla and Microsoft side.  The fact
that they're using WebKit is interesting as well.

However it's obviously still beta, and it's obviously still not complete.
I'm interested in seeing where they go with it, but I hardly think it's
worth getting into a fanboy love-fest about it yet.

Jeffrey.

P.S.  I'm using Chrome to type this.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that