A quite on topic comment regarding "just plain works" as a goal

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 01:29:15 CDT 2008

We have several levels of computer user. Defining them is edgy beyond
the basic dividing line between GUI and CLI users.
There are many folks who consider either extreme quite viable. and
they get a bit -intense in expressing it. Same applies to the
"Multimedia" crowd which considers animated blinkenlight and
sound/video presentations as preferable to flat text. The devil
appears in reconciling a conflict for mundane users in the extreme
application biases. One set of websites might be so deadly flat it
looks more like a log dump than a web page intended for humans. The
other set  may replicate "Grand Theft Auto's  look&feel." Let me
explain the shortest form as to why both extremes affect the Linux
world.

WE use browsers that may not be "default ready" to handle the "video
game replication" websites. Which to the "Video gaming consumers"
makes Linux seem a dead duck..

I am damned if I have easy answers beyond the warning scream that if
at ITEC for example a walkerby or lookylou idly punches up their
favorite website on a demo Linux machine- and they see "placeholders"
or "click to see image" or anything other than the site rendering as
it does on their Flash laden home machine- WE FAIL.and so does
Linux... Same with Audio.

--
Oren Beck

816.729.3645