Midrange Web Browser? (between Firefox and Dillo)

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 12:14:08 CDT 2008

--- On Sun, 10/5/08, Brendan G <moldybeats at gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't tried it, but there's a browser out
> there called Midori:
> http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/pages/midori_summary.html
>
> It's associated with Xfce, who always has their eyes
> on lightweight software.  I suspect it's probably
> nearer to Firefox than Dillo just because it supports
> JavaScript, etc., but it might be worth a try.

Their website lists the most current version of Midori as 0.0.18.  I realize that Linux software, and GPLed software in general, frequently works nicely well before a major version number, but software which doesn't even have a minor version number yet can't possibly be reliable enough for regular use.

The Midori site also implies that WebKit is currently rather buggy (a "please don't blame Midori programmers for all the bugs" plea if I ever heard one), a comment on the other "WebKit" messages here which state that tablet-based browsers are moving away from Gecko and towards WebKit, in some cases having been on WebKit for months.  Is WebKit a good choice or just an ideological choice?