Moratorium on moderation/censorship/general whines.-give it up for lent eh?

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sat Mar 22 02:43:31 CDT 2008

On Saturday 22 March 2008, Leo Mauler wrote:
> Vatican II changed everyday doctrines

This alone proves Vatican II to be non-Catholic.
Doctrine (revealed truth), being objective truth, does not change. Ever.

> such as changing the banning of the consumption of meat on Fridays to merely
> the banning of the consumption of meat on Fridays *during Lent*.

While abstaining from meat on Fridays probably goes back to the apostles'
time, it has never been purported as a doctrine by the Catholic Church, nor
could it be, since it deals neither with faith nor morals.
Abstaining from meat on Fridays is a *law* that must be obeyed, but it is not
a matter of truth/doctrine. While it has not been changed, there is no reason
it could not be.

> The Pope's official apology to Galileo didn't come till the 1990s.

There is nothing to apologize for.
(nor was the man you're referring to a pope)

> St. Patrick's Day Trivia: St. Patrick's Day occurs during Lent, and in 2000
> and 2006 it landed on a Friday, the Lenten day on which meat cannot be
> eaten.
> This sent the Irish-American Catholic population into turmoil, for the
> traditional dish on St. Patrick's Day in Irish-American Catholic households
> is "corned beef and cabbage".  Fortunately, Catholic bishops granted special
> dispensations in 2000 and 2006 to permit Irish-Americans to eat "corned beef
> and cabbage" (but no other meat dish) on St. Patrick's Day during Lent.
> St. Patrick's Day will not be a Friday in Lent again until 2017.

Laws can obviously be dispensed of by proper authorities as well.

> So since Vatican II is an official part of the Roman Catholic Church, we can
> assume you didn't like the way Catholicism was going with Vatican II so you
> forked the doctrine and didn't apply any of the Vatican II updates?

No. Your premise is incorrect, since Vatican II is not part of the Church, but
is a fork of it. If you want it in terms of technology, Wireshark (Vat2) is a
fork of Ethereal (Catholicism), but took most of the developers and users
with it.