Moratorium on moderation/censorship/general whines.-give it up for lent eh?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 02:02:10 CDT 2008

--- David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:03 AM, Leo Mauler
> <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > First off, some people don't celebrate
> > (for lack of a better word) Lent.
>
> the word you appear to be looking for is "observe"

Thank you, sometimes the word doesn't even make it to
the tip of the tongue.

> > Secondly, Vatican II put a lot of joy back
> > into Lent, and I doubt there are many
> > pre-Vatican II folks on KCLUG (for example,
> > Grandma eats fish on ALL Fridays and she's
> > 97 years old).
>
> um, we have Luke-jr, who appears to be
> pre-reformation

Vatican II changed everyday doctrines such as changing
the banning of the consumption of meat on Fridays to
merely the banning of the consumption of meat on
Fridays *during Lent*.  The Pope's official apology to
Galileo didn't come till the 1990s.

St. Patrick's Day Trivia: St. Patrick's Day occurs
during Lent, and in 2000 and 2006 it landed on a
Friday, the Lenten day on which meat cannot be eaten.
This sent the Irish-American Catholic population into
turmoil, for the traditional dish on St. Patrick's Day
in Irish-American Catholic households is "corned beef
and cabbage".  Fortunately, Catholic bishops granted
special dispensations in 2000 and 2006 to permit
Irish-Americans to eat "corned beef and cabbage" (but
no other meat dish) on St. Patrick's Day during Lent.
St. Patrick's Day will not be a Friday in Lent again
until 2017.