Moratorium on moderation/censorship/general whines.-give it up for lent eh?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 03:24:58 CDT 2008

--- Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 22 March 2008, Leo Mauler wrote:

> > The Pope's official apology to Galileo
> > didn't come till the 1990s.
>
> There is nothing to apologize for.
> (nor was the man you're referring to a pope)

The man who apologized about the Catholic Church's
error in its complete and unqualified condemnation of
Galileo's heliocentrism, *Pope John Paul II*, wasn't a
Pope?  This may come as a surprise to the Roman
Catholic Church, since they generally keep very good
track of who is or is not the Pope.

"If contemporary culture is marked by a tendency to
scientism, the cultural horizon of Galileo's age was
uniform and carried the imprint of a particular
philosophical formation.... The majority of
theologians did not recognize the formal distinction
between Sacred Scripture and its interpretation, and
this led them unduly to transpose into the realm of
the doctrine of the faith a question which in fact
pertained to scientific investigation..."

"Thanks to his intuition as a brilliant physicist and
by relying on different arguments, Galileo, who
practically invented the experimental method,
understood why only the sun could function as the
centre of the world, as it was then known, that is to
say, as a planetary system.  The error of the
theologians of the time, when they maintained the
centrality of the Earth, was to think that our
understanding of the physical world's structure was,
in some way, imposed by the literal sense of Sacred
Scripture...."

– Pope John Paul II, L'Osservatore Romano N. 44 (1264)
- 4th November, 1992

(whole address here: http://tinyurl.com/3r94b)

> > So since Vatican II is an official part of
> > the Roman Catholic Church, we can assume you
> > didn't like the way Catholicism was going
> > with Vatican II so you forked the doctrine
> > and didn't apply any of the Vatican II
> > updates?
>
> No. Your premise is incorrect, since Vatican II
> is not part of the Church, but is a fork of it.
> If you want it in terms of technology, Wireshark
> (Vat2) is a fork of Ethereal (Catholicism), but
> took most of the developers and users with it.

But a doctrine as old as geocentrism is the doctrine
that the Pope is the head of the Roman Catholic
Church, and the official Roman Catholic Church Pope at
the time of Vatican II chose the Vatican II version of
Catholicism.  Your version decided not to go with
Vatican II, which means your fork was the one which
left the official Church and took some of the
developers and users with it.

If we spoke in terms of the Linux Kernel, then what
happened was that there was a kernel fork, you went
with one version, and Linus Torvalds (the keeper of
the official kernel) went with the other version.
Linus' version is the only official version, so all
others aren't the official version.

I realize that you feel strongly about your own
theology, but in the end the version of Roman
Catholicism that has the Pope at the helm really is
the official version of Roman Catholicism.  This means
that no matter how much you consider Vatican II to be
a falsehood, it is still the official policy of the
official Roman Catholic Church.