Organization Poll on the KCLUG Forums

John unixengineer at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 19 18:50:44 CDT 2008

You have some good points on keeping things on topic.  There are more many more Linux users and enthusiasts in the local community.  Many of the more business centered users I have talked with don't bother looking to going to the KCLUG meetings or reading the list anymore after seeing this type of thing go on.  If it is more than just a hobby or something you say you associate with, you want meaningful information, topics, discussions, and presentations from time to time.  Sharing of configurations, lessons learned, the real info about Linux, not a biased opinions to simply leave M$ and jump on board with the LUG.  There isn't a need to stay on topic all the time.  Everyone has questions, topics, and information they share that may be well off topic.  But some structure would have a positive impact in people learning new things.

There is a lot of expertise from the programming, admin, or simple user side that could be put to good use in sharing that information.  There is much more to Linux than what you run your web server with, or which window manager and desktop environment you use.  There are in depth topics that are completely skipped over that could provide benefit to users, admins, and Linux enthusiasts alike.  A good example of this would be in the topic of filesystem tuning.  How many people specify the tunable kernel parameters to tweak performance for their applications (elevator=cfg|deadline|noop|as) depending on what they do.  This isn't just for folks trying to create high performance 10 TB encrypted storage arrays, but look at applications line Myth TV for AV files.  How about if you use samba or NFS to share those in your house?  There are plenty of things to talk about within Linux and people that know those topics well.

The point is, a little structure good.  You can call them leaders, group motivators, those that get others to contribute and make the arrangements for things, or whatever you want to call those that bring a little content to the table.  It would be nice to have set presentations at given meetings.  Most of the install fests I saw when I was trying to make it more often ended up in showing random videos, passing out the occasional distro CD or chats about the old times.  It would be nice to see something like a demonstration for installing a distro, or configuring a new system.  Maybe put it up on the projector and get others to participate.  There are a lot of good folks around with the group that can do presentations, demos, or whatever and help with that sort of stuff.  Why not take advantage of what others can do and share the knowledge in a more productive manner?

-John Frakes