Ubuntu

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 07:30:15 CDT 2008

--- Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 March 2008, Leo Mauler wrote:
> > Well, considering that the other major
> > alternative is KDE, which looks entirely
> > too much like Windows, I think that a
> > sigh of relief could easily replace that
> > "eww".
>
> Yes, KDE looks almost exactly like Windows
> *if you take the effort to click Windows as
> your default settings when you start it the
> first time*. On the other hand, if you choose,
> say, the default "KDE" settings, it's no more
> like Windows than GNOME is.

*Default* KDE has:

1) A "Start" menu in the lower left corner, which is
very similar to Windows.

2) A single user application/applet bar at the bottom
of the screen, again very similar to Windows.

*Default* GNOME has:

1) A "Start" menu in the upper left corner, completely
unlike Windows.

2) A user application/applet bar at both the top and
bottom of the screen, again completely unlike Windows.

A split-second glance at a *default* KDE screen
reveals a desktop which looks very much like Windows.
A split-second glance at a *default* GNOME screen
reveals a desktop which is very *different* from
Windows.

And as such, only the GNOME desktop will invite much
comment about the difference in the desktop.  The KDE
desktop, if viewed idly across the room by a Windows
user, looks enough like a Windows desktop that there's
not much else to say about it.

And if your desktop isn't different enough to incite
comments, then thats one less avenue through which to
interest other people in Linux.

Ubuntu Linux is aimed at non-technical people.
Non-technical people typically don't change their
desktop because they've just come over from an OS
which doesn't let you change your desktop.  This means
that default Ubuntu Linux is like a huge sign on their
computers saying "Hey! I'm Different! Ask Me Why I'm Different!"