Ubuntu

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Mar 13 08:07:08 CDT 2008

On Thursday 13 March 2008, Leo Mauler wrote:
> *Default* KDE has:
>
> 1) A "Start" menu in the lower left corner, which is
> very similar to Windows.

Hm, I wonder why. Obviously, the left is logical for left-to-right languages.
Which means that even if we assume there are no other reasons for top/bottom,
the choice is between being similar to another common OS and use the bottom,
or using the top just to be not Windows.
What reasons are there to use the top over the bottom?

> 2) A single user application/applet bar at the bottom
> of the screen, again very similar to Windows.

Again, only similar to the extent that is logical.

> *Default* GNOME has:
>
> 1) A "Start" menu in the upper left corner, completely
> unlike Windows.
>
> 2) A user application/applet bar at both the top and
> bottom of the screen, again completely unlike Windows.

Why? Just to be "completely unlike Windows"?