Samba Web Interface

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Mon Jul 21 14:00:46 CDT 2008

As Billy implies, you don't need to worry about samba if you are trying
to do it over the web. Samba is a server with its own set of
communication protocols, and Apache is a server with a different set of
protocols. Since you want to do this over the web (http), then by virtue
of that fact you wont be using Samba to do it.

If want to do it through samba because of the permissions you have on
your samba shares, then you are making a lot of work for nothing. Both
Samba and Apache, by default, rely heavily on the underlying filesystem
for permissions and security, and if your filesystem permissions don't
match your samba share permissions then you aren't following best practices.

If it is just for you to use, and you don't have bunches of users to
worry about, then consider the File Manager in webmin. This requires a
java applet to be installed (automatically) on the client, but it
provides full GUI access to the server's filesystem over HTTPS.
Alternatively, the "Upload and Download" feature in webmin is
html/javascript based, and gives you slightly less convenient access to
your filesystem.

~Bradley