Samba Web Interface

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 01:49:21 CDT 2008

Is there a specific reason your uploading of files to your home server
has to have anything to do with samba?

If you could use a web site interface to uploading and managing files
on a webserver, try http://webfilebrowser.sourceforge.net/ and
http://freshmeat.net/projects/pfb/.  Of course, you will probably want
to set up ssl, and offer those services exclusively over SSL.

If it doesn't even have to be 'web', use scp, an sftp client like
filezilla, or fuse-sshfs.  you could actually use Samba right over the
net, but it is usually blocked, and isn't very smart for security
reasons.  In the one instance I do regularly use CIFS over the net, I
encapsulate it in an OpenVPN tunnel, and do not depend on samba's
security at all.