The Cube Efffect [was: Yanking the Window Shade]

Kendric Beachey kendric.beachey at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 10:19:16 CST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 10:03 AM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've heard much of the famed cube effect, and I think I have an
> adequately powerful test box on which to run it.

Just install ubuntu gutsy on that beast, and then go to System >
Preferences > Appearance and check the Visual Effects tab to choose
"Extra".

For more control you can then install the
compizconfig-settings-manager package (I think?) to get a GUI
application that will let you play with all the crazy effects.  :-)

If you want to stick with Fedora, though, I'm sure there are some rpms
for that same stuff.  But having a gutsy livecd handy for your
installfest could double your options for the other folks who show up.

My home boxes that run compiz are a core 2 duo and an athlon64 (though
I gave up and used 32-bit ubuntu on it).  They both have old-fart
nvidia cards and perform quite nicely.

At work where I have a few more tricked-out machines, I unfortunately
have only ati cards, so no compiz for me.  boo!
 --
 Kendric Beachey