The Cube Efffect [was: Yanking the Window Shade]

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 11:54:44 CST 2008

First of all, thanks for all the replies. I'll get on this asap.
For the curious: http://umkcacm.org/Events/FedoraInstallfestSpring2008

On Jan 24, 2008 10:19 AM, Kendric Beachey <kendric.beachey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008 10:03 AM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've heard much of the famed cube effect, and I think I have an
> > adequately powerful test box on which to run it.
>
> Just install ubuntu gutsy on that beast, and then go to System >
> Preferences > Appearance and check the Visual Effects tab to choose
> "Extra".

I'm actually not at all experienced with Ubuntu, but that's an option.

> For more control you can then install the
> compizconfig-settings-manager package (I think?) to get a GUI
> application that will let you play with all the crazy effects.  :-)

Cool, I'll remember this.

> If you want to stick with Fedora, though, I'm sure there are some rpms
> for that same stuff.  But having a gutsy livecd handy for your
> installfest could double your options for the other folks who show up.

I already plan on handing out Ubuntu Desktop CDs. Burned and tested a
copy yesterday. They will get to keep the Fedora DVD they install
from, but will also get the Desktop LiveCD with the recommendation to
try that first.

> My home boxes that run compiz are a core 2 duo and an athlon64 (though
> I gave up and used 32-bit ubuntu on it).  They both have old-fart
> nvidia cards and perform quite nicely.

Nice. I haven't seen the need for 64bit yet myself.

> At work where I have a few more tricked-out machines, I unfortunately
> have only ati cards, so no compiz for me.  boo!

Hopefully AMD gets off it's butt with ATI soon.

( www.pembo13.com )