KDE 4.0 Gallery

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 22:17:33 CST 2008

--- Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> > I think you have to look at the whole package.
>
> Only if you're comparing it to a whole similar
> "package"-- so if you want to
> compare it with your XFCE desktop, you MUST INCLUDE
> ALL APPLICATIONS YOU USE
> in the comparison.
Isn't that what "whole package" means. I think
we're saying the same thing here. I'm pretty sure
that "whole package" and "all applications you use"
are
two ways of saying the same thing.

Of course things get complicated once you start
running KDE applications in XFCE. Furthermore how do
compare a KDE desktop that's using Gnome tools with an
XFCE desktop running only XFCE applications? This
possibilities go on and on, and I'm not sure you can
really compare them except in a clean-room type
situation. Take Mint for example, it comes configured
for gnome, but i install the KDE desktop. What if I
were to remove KDE and install an XFCE desktop? Then
what do i have? Do I have a clean XFCE? What about the
old gnome stuff? Every distro does something a little
bit different. The only way to do a real comparison is
to install a base linux (say debian with no gui) on
several PCs then manually install KDE, gnome, XFCE,
and whatever else. It can be done, but it's not as
simple as just getting a distro and installing it.

But, I was really commenting on it being useless to
just compare the window managers, because that's not
where the lion share of "bloat" is. Although, I have
to say I'm fairly happy with KDE 3.5.8.