KDE 4.0 Gallery

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Wed Jan 16 20:45:23 CST 2008

Luke -Jr wrote:
>>> s/"might"/probably/
>> Yeah, sure, my wife will "probably" need Subversion modules or the Write
>> Daemon, among other items loaded by default on a KDE install... just
>> like she needed all those little system tray apps that loaded on her old
>> Windows machine?
>
> Nice try. The Subversion module isn't even *included* with a normal KDE
> install, you need the SDK for it. And the Write Daemon isn't hurting anyone.
> It should just swap out when not in use.

My "normal" KDE install involves sticking in a Slackware 12 disk and
using "recommended" options. I never said the write daemon was hurting
anyone, just that there was really very little reason to be loading it
at startup. And hell, my systems have enough RAM that they simply don't
swap at all.

>> I happily use KDE and GNOME, so I'm not complaining about either. But
>> anyone who argues that a person running KWin (+ the rest of KDE) is
>> going to have a lower resource usage than a person running Fluxbox (+
>> all of their apps) is just plain nuts.
>
> Have you tried it?

I used Fluxbox as my primary wm for well over a year, quite happily. It
was noticeably faster and used less memory than my current KDE install.
The main reason I switched off Fluxbox is because, like I've already
said, it's hard to sell the "transitional" users on something as slim as
Fluxbox. Since I'm trying to "sell" Linux to these transitional users,
it's easier for me to stay familiar with the environments like KDE and
GNOME if I'm using them myself.

~Bradley