How best to get an old BIOS to see the full size of a big

Uncle Jim jim at jimani.com
Tue Jan 15 00:46:26 CST 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 04:32:03AM -0600, Greg Brooks wrote:

> Well, the command (thanks, guys!) shows a sufficiently large disk (see
> below). So it's simply a resizing issue?
>

> # Disk /dev/sdb: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
> # 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
> # Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> # Disk identifier: 0x0f800000
> #
> #    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> # /dev/sdb1               1       30401   244196001   83  Linux
> #
> # Disk /dev/sdb1: 250.0 GB, 250056705024 bytes
> # 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30400 cylinders
> # Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> # Disk identifier: 0x00000000
> #
> # Disk /dev/sdb1 doesn't contain a valid partition table

I share Shawn's concern about your "/dev/mapper/plattsburg-root".  This
should be logical volume "root" in volume group "plattsburg".  This SHOULD
be somewhere on /dev/sda.  You can verify this with the "pvs" command and
"fdisk -l /dev/sda" should show a partition with "Linux LVM" in the last
column.

After you have backed up all your data as many ways as you can the command
to expand your filesystem to fill the partition is either

   resize2fs -p /dev/sdb1
or
   ext2online -v /dev/sdb1

This assumes you are using an ext2/ext3 filesystem.  I haven't seen any
indication of your filesystem type.  The ext2online command only allows
you to enlarge the filesystem but it will work on a mounted filesystem.
The resize2fs command only works on un-mounted filesystems but will allow
you to shrink the filesystem, too.  The "-p" and "-v" flags just specify
verbose output.  Since this operation can take a while it is nice to know
your machine is still alive.

Before you take this step wouldn't you like to know what caused your
machine to be in this state?  The answer could save you lots of work.
--
Jim