How best to get an old BIOS to see the full size of a big

Shawn C. Powell shawncp at kcnet.com
Mon Jan 14 14:22:48 CST 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008 04:32, Greg Brooks wrote:
> Well, the command (thanks, guys!) shows a sufficiently large disk (see
> below). So it's simply a resizing issue?
>
> # Disk /dev/sdb: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
                                ^^^^^^^^^
The total capacity of the drive agrees with your expectation so thats good.

> # 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
> # Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> # Disk identifier: 0x0f800000
> #
> #    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> # /dev/sdb1               1       30401   244196001   83  Linux
                                                              ^^^^^^^^^^
The only existing partion is 244196001 blocks X 512 bytes per block (sector) =
125,028,352,512 bytes, which agrees with your du results and is good too,
and indicates about half the drive has been left unpartitioned.

Short answer: probably yes (see last below).  You could use the tools that
Bryan mentioned.  Back it up first for insurance :).   Since you have quite a
bit of free space on / you could use something
like "tar -czvpf /tmp/media.tgz /media".  This would archive your /media
to /tmp/media.tgz.  The /tmp/media.tgz could just be deleted after you're
satisfied that the resize went okay.

Or, just create another partition in the unused space and mount it somewhere
convenient.  The fdisk tool can do that also.  Or, cfdisk is more friendly.

The reason I said "probably" above is that I'm not sure what device
your "/dev/mapper/plattsburg-root" actually is and I'd want to make sure that
there is no conflict with /dev/sdb through LVM or RAID or something.

Finally, sorry if any of this was like teaching my grandfather to suck
eggs :).

Good luck.
-Shawn