101 Great Computer Programming Quotes

Steven Hildreth sphildreth at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 09:02:55 CST 2008

Greetings,

I saw this: http://www.devtopics.com/101-great-computer-programming-quotesand
from it gleamed a few prime cuts (a few of many), in my opinion;

"The question of whether computers can think is like the question of whether
submarines can swim."
(Edsger W. Dijkstra)

"There are two ways of constructing a software design.  One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is
to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
(C.A.R. Hoare)

"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy
to use as his telephone.  That wish has come true, since I no longer know
how to use my telephone."
(Bjarne Stroustrup)

"Computer science education cannot make anybody an expert programmer any
more than studying brushes and pigment can make somebody an expert painter."
(Eric Raymond)

"C++ : Where friends have access to your private members."
(Gavin Russell Baker)"

"The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off
by a bit."
(Anonymous)

and my favorite;

"Software is like sex: It's better when it's free."
*(Linus Torvalds)*

Enjoy!

Regards,
Steven