idea: a managed linux distribution, for weak users

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 20:33:47 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO
<brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov> wrote:
> They pay me to take control of the machines of stupid people all day
> long.  It's called the helpdesk.   What a concept.  Some people can't be
> bothered to remember how to do anything on their computer.

Yes, it's called "your job" and the computers are owned by your
employer, not individuals in their homes.  You are being paid to
provide support for company owned computers being used by company
employess.

> I also have relative strangers that are referred to me by acquaintances,
> that ask me to fix their computer.  I frequently take said strangers PC
> or HDD to my home for sometimes several weeks until I get time to work
> on it.   During this time, those people know I have complete access to
> it, but are so happy when I return it fixed that they pay me.

Right, and you do not have complete control over their machines
full-time while it's sitting on their home and they're trying to do
work / play game / look at porn.  You are not installing Linux on
their PC and managing *that* while providing them a Windows VM to work
in.

This "business plan" and what you do are nothing alike.

--
Chris