what ever happened to linux?(Rep. Cleaver/immigration rants, etc.)

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 21:01:59 CDT 2008

tcpdump and/or wireshark: http://www.tcpdump.org/  http://www.wireshark.org/

The latter used to be called Ethereal, and the GUI was in fact written
by an earlier kclug member.  Ethereal at least, is available on
windows.  Run it on the client or server or both with a sufficiently
tight filter.  It watches the 'wire' and your filter narrows down what
it reports so your screen isn't flooded.  The filter "host 192.2.0.1
and port 80" would be sufficient on your laptop to limit reporting to
traffic on your server (192.2.0.1) on port 80 (web).  Show up at the
next meeting, and I can demonstrate wireshark in action.  I use my
Time Warner connection alot, and haven't seen much interference,
malicious or accidental.  (Aside from when I saturate my link with
traffic.)

If you can ssh to your server from the meeting, you can do a remote
packet capture with tcpdump -w, then scp it to your laptop and view it
there with wireshark.  It's likely some sort of misconfiguration, or
malformed POST request though, but wireshark can rule out network
interference.