Using USB memory key as boot directory for older computer?

Brian Kelsay ripcrd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 09:40:46 CDT 2007

You mentioned using a CD to install, but you want to boot from a USB
pendrive; you can do this with DamnSmallLinux, although I doubt it
fits in your plan for using a modern PC.  You didn't say how much RAM
the PC will have.  Debian or Ubuntu should work also, since DamnSmall
is based on Debian, but DSL specifically has this in their installer,
install to USB and the whole thing will fit in 64MB of space.  I
assume that to do so with Debian or Ubuntu  would just require you to
mkdir a mount point for the pendrive, then mount the pendrive as
read/write prior to starting the installation.  That will allow you to
designate /dev/sda1 or /mnt/sda1 as /boot when the time comes to setup
the filesystem with the installer.

Brian