Using USB memory key as boot directory for older computer?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 21:53:44 CDT 2007

The PC will have 384MB to start with (the older
PC100/PC133 DIMMs), and I'm getting a 256MB stick soon
to upgrade it to 512MB: three slots, so right now
three 128MB sticks; later two 128MB sticks and one
256MB stick.  Adequate RAM for most things.

DSL is nice for some situations, but I'd prefer a
complete Linux install over an install that fits on a
64MB pendrive.

I figure I'll reformat the pendrive to ext2 instead of
ext3.  One of my existing machines has a /boot
formatted to ext2, and that system doesn't seem to
have minded a dozen sudden power failures over the
past two years.