Using USB memory key as boot directory for older computer?

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 09:40:04 CDT 2007

On 6/28/07, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have found a lot of articles on installing an entire
> Linux distribution onto a USB memory key.  What I want
> to do is install Linux on an older computer, with an
> 80GB hard drive, but the BIOS doesn't like hard drives
> bigger than 64GB.  The computer is one of those
> systems built to fit inside a compact case, so there
> is only room for one hard drive inside the case.

Have you tried lying to the BIOS and telling it the drive is small enough to
work with?.  I remember having to do that with an 8G drive on a system that
couldn't quite see the whole thing.  Then Linux was able to see the extra
space that neither the BIOS (nor Windows relying upon it) could work with.
I think I used it for extra swap.