Using USB memory key as boot directory for older computer?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 06:50:17 CDT 2007

I have found a lot of articles on installing an entire
Linux distribution onto a USB memory key.  What I want
to do is install Linux on an older computer, with an
80GB hard drive, but the BIOS doesn't like hard drives
bigger than 64GB.  The computer is one of those
systems built to fit inside a compact case, so there
is only room for one hard drive inside the case.

As you know, Linux ignores the BIOS, so once it boots
any size hard drive is okay.  In ye olden days I'd use
a floppy to boot the computer, but I'd much rather use
a 64MB memory key for /boot so that I can use modern
kernels.  The computer itself will boot from a USB
device.  I have all of the parts I've mentioned and
not enough money to buy anything else.

Can anyone direct me to some assistance in getting a
distribution installer (CD distribution) to recognize
the USB memory key at boot time, so that it can be
used as /boot?  Also, does the USB key need to be
initialized as bootable before beginning the Linux
installation?

I'm still deciding whether to use Ubuntu or Debian,
though I am leaning towards Ubuntu.