Kclug Digest, Vol 36, Issue 8

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 14:14:50 CDT 2007

On 7/5/07, gary hildebrand <wa7kkp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/5/07, kclug-request at kclug.org <kclug-request at kclug.org> wrote:
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:31:16 -0500
> > From: Jonathan Hutchins < hutchins at tarcanfel.org>
> > Subject: Re: Web services "in" the KC area.
> > To: kclug at kclug.org
>

> I've had phone service here for 17 years from Bell, now AT&t
> > (again).  I've
> > called them once, to find out when they'd have the lines back up from
> > the big
> > ice storm.  There may be things I don't like about them, but service
> > availability ain't one of 'em.  I laugh at the cable guys every time
> > they try
> > to sell me phone service.
>

> There are good and bad things about Ma Bell, and they have always had the
> supercillious business attitude with their customers.  In my case:
>
> Charged almost a dollar a minute for a phone call to Vancouver, BC, and
> charging $0.75 per call to their 800 "customer service" line SEVERAL times.
>
> Overcharging a cellphone customer $1500 in one month . . . (girlfriend)
>
> Bait and switch practices on cellphone plans.
>
> I'm sure there are others.  YMMV.  I just avoid them whenever and wherever
> possible.  Just expect less and less, and pay more and more for nothing.
>
> Gary Hildebrand
> ST. Joseph, MO

The part of Ma Bell's good side now a relic  from a better vanished time was
monopoly integration granting certain efficiencies. Example being in 1985 I
could request a "ringback on FX" phone line from a hotel to the Taxi company
dispatch board, and have it live the same day! New lines of that type became
NLA in 1988. IIRC there were no such lines left after 1990. Yet with ESS
providing such functions should have been trivial.

Oren

"Ma bell is really Pa bell in drag"