Political Blather

Phil Thayer phil.thayer at vitalsite.com
Tue Jan 23 17:20:04 CST 2007

> > Linux (in some form or another) as an embedded OS is in
> hundreds if not
> > thousands of devices from you car to your MP3.
>
> MP3 doesn't have a means to run or even contain code! ;)

Wrong.  Any computer that performs a task contains some kind of code.
Most of the time this code is called "embedded code" because it is
contained on a ROM or RAM or some combination of the two.  MP3's use an
embedded form of a Unix OS to play the music.  It isn't just magic.

> > My brother owns a Toyota Prius and has installed an RPM on
> it that allows
> > him to access the system through an additional menu option
> on the monitor.
>
> What monitor? Most cars don't have monitors...

I would say that you might be pretty impressed if you went down to the
Toyota dealership and check out a Prius.  They DO have monitors and they
are right smack in the middle of the front dashboard.  Not to mention
that most cars have a form of monitor, maybe just not what you would
expect the form to be.

> > The additional menu will give him more information on the
> system as well as
> > allow him to run the car on all electric or all gas.
>
> How about veggie oil?

The Linux user community hasn't written the code for this option yet.
Give them time.

> > It's a Linux OS that runs that car.  Toyota takes care of
> your licensing,
> > source code and digital medium.
>
> Ok, so does the car come with the source on a CD, or does it
> come with a 2
> year offer for it?
>
> > The ECU's that you hear  about in cars are running a form of Linux.
>
> Haven't heard about any "ECU"s... where do I get the source
> for them? :)

The ECU is the Electronic Control Unit.  It controls pretty much the
entire engine.  Spark advance, fuel mixture etc...  The source code for
that would be based on Linux but with a lot of proprietary code on top
of it.  You may be able to get the drivers for the devices that are on
it off the web somewhere.  I would caution you to test any changes you
make extensively before loading them on your car's ECU.

> > Sit and think about how many computers you REALLY have in
> your house and
> > realize that 80-85% of them are running a version of Linux.
>
> 100% of them are... but they're not embedded...

Your probably right about the traditional computers that sit on your
desk.  But what about the computer that runs your TV, microwave,
dishwasher (not the kids), digital alarm clock, Stereo, CD/DVD
player...Think about all the things in your house that are performing
automated tasks that were not there 30-40 years ago.  Almost all of them
have some type of embedded OS and most of them are using a derivative of
Linux now.