Political Blather

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Jan 23 16:48:18 CST 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 16:37, Phil Thayer wrote:
> > Are you implying that cars have chips running some form of Linux?
> > If so, I think they're late on complying with the license. I
> > know at least my
> > car's manual doesn't have an offer for source code, nor did
> > it include any
> > digital medium.
>
> The Automobile manufacturers are responsible for that when they build
> the car.

Correct.

> Linux (in some form or another) as an embedded OS is in hundreds if not
> thousands of devices from you car to your MP3.

MP3 doesn't have a means to run or even contain code! ;)

> My brother owns a Toyota Prius and has installed an RPM on it that allows
> him to access the system through an additional menu option on the monitor.

What monitor? Most cars don't have monitors...

> The additional menu will give him more information on the system as well as
> allow him to run the car on all electric or all gas.

How about veggie oil?

> It's a Linux OS that runs that car.  Toyota takes care of your licensing,
> source code and digital medium.

Ok, so does the car come with the source on a CD, or does it come with a 2
year offer for it?

> The ECU's that you hear  about in cars are running a form of Linux.

Haven't heard about any "ECU"s... where do I get the source for them? :)

> Sit and think about how many computers you REALLY have in your house and
> realize that 80-85% of them are running a version of Linux.

100% of them are... but they're not embedded...