Political Blather

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Jan 23 17:35:36 CST 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 17:20, Phil Thayer wrote:
> > > Linux (in some form or another) as an embedded OS is in
> >
> > hundreds if not
> >
> > > thousands of devices from you car to your MP3.
> >
> > MP3 doesn't have a means to run or even contain code! ;)
>
> Wrong.  Any computer that performs a task contains some kind of code.

But MP3 is a compression format, not a computer.

> Most of the time this code is called "embedded code" because it is
> contained on a ROM or RAM or some combination of the two.  MP3's use an
> embedded form of a Unix OS to play the music.  It isn't just magic.

MP3s don't play on their own, you need an audio player with the proper codec
to play them...

> > > It's a Linux OS that runs that car.  Toyota takes care of your
> > > licensing, source code and digital medium.
> >
> > Ok, so does the car come with the source on a CD, or does it come with a 2
> > year offer for it?

> > > Sit and think about how many computers you REALLY have in your house and
> > > realize that 80-85% of them are running a version of Linux.
> >
> > 100% of them are... but they're not embedded...
>
> Your probably right about the traditional computers that sit on your
> desk.  But what about the computer that runs your TV,

What TV?

> microwave, dishwasher (not the kids), digital alarm clock,

If any of these are Linux-based, I certainly didn't get the mandatory source
code or offer...

> Stereo, CD/DVD player...

That's the desktop PC.

> Think about all the things in your house that are performing automated tasks
> that were not there 30-40 years ago.  Almost all of them have some type of
> embedded OS and most of them are using a derivative of Linux now.

I've never heard of someone's dishwasher, alarm clock, or such coming with a
source code offer, let alone CD with the code or printout of the GPL. Unless
they're violating the GPL left and right, I doubt many, if any, of these run
Linux.