Polls re: new linux distribution

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Jun 27 13:24:14 CDT 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 16:40, djgoku wrote:
> On 6/26/06, Rich Edelman <rcedelman at comcast.net> wrote:
> > If you were to start a new linux distribution, what would you use for
> > package management? rpm? dpkg? none (tar.bz2s)? portage? roll your own?
>
> I really like how *BSDs do things with packages/ports, that is where
> portage got its roots from, packages are precompiled stuff, and ports
> is you compile from source. Most of the time I never use more than 2-3
> ports and rest is packages. All dependencies are dealt with (pkg_add)
> for more info see [1].

One goal of Utopios's new package manager is to more or less always build from
source, but if it's already been done, use those binaries. Think Portage, but
if someone has compatible CHOST/CFLAGS and the same USE flags, it will use
their binaries or distcc if they're not done yet. Plus a bit of security
measures, of course.