Polls re: new linux distribution

djgoku djgoku at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 11:40:12 CDT 2006

On 6/26/06, Rich Edelman <rcedelman at comcast.net> wrote:
> If you were to start a new linux distribution, what would you use for package
> management? rpm? dpkg? none (tar.bz2s)? portage? roll your own?

I really like how *BSDs do things with packages/ports, that is where
portage got its roots from, packages are precompiled stuff, and ports
is you compile from source. Most of the time I never use more than 2-3
ports and rest is packages. All dependencies are dealt with (pkg_add)
for more info see [1].

> What about managing dependencies and fetching packages from remote
> repositories? yast? apt? smart? yum? urpmi? portage?
>
> What architectures / hardware would you support? ppc? alpha? x86 / x86_64?

I only have x86, but I think my next upgrade will be to x86_64.

> Would you go the way of Ubuntu, and work around Gnome mainly? Or the way SuSE
> traditionally was, and be mostly KDE oriented?

I prefer fluxbox, though wmii looks really neat.

[1] - http://openbsd.rt.fm/faq/faq15.html#PkgInstall