Polls re: new linux distribution

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Tue Jun 27 13:44:16 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 18:24 +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
> One goal of Utopios's new package manager is to more or less always build from
> source, but if it's already been done, use those binaries. Think Portage, but
> if someone has compatible CHOST/CFLAGS and the same USE flags, it will use
> their binaries or distcc if they're not done yet. Plus a bit of security
> measures, of course.

What would be really cool would be if some people could offer their
servers for hosting these "already compiled" packages -- and then
separate out individual modules for things like different USE flag
settings in to different binary subcomponents so that you could download
whatever you wanted any time without having to compile. It would be
called B.I.N.A.R.Y. D.I.S.T.R.O. which would stand for Better,
Individualize, Non-compile, All-arch Redistribution, Yes, Don't Include,
Source To Redistribute Originals.

Yes, someone should invent that. Oh wait.

You know about apt-get source package; dpkg-build right?