Polls re: new linux distribution

Brandon Holtsclaw brandon at imbrandon.com
Tue Jun 27 11:30:53 CDT 2006

Rich Edelman wrote:
> If you were to start a new linux distribution, what would you use for package
> management? rpm? dpkg? none (tar.bz2s)? portage? roll your own?

Well as a Kubuntu Developer I'm partial to apt / dpkg but one small
thing about that is it dosent support biarch ( x86 / x86_64 or ppc32 /
ppc64 ) that i would really like to see but afaik thats being worked on
/ patched in.
> What about managing dependencies and fetching packages from remote
> repositories? yast? apt? smart? yum? urpmi? portage?

Smart is looking really good , infact at the (K)Ubuntu Developers Summit
in Paris this past week it was one of the topics for edgy ( the october
release of *ubuntu ) but over all it is still very young and has some
issues of its own , I would probbly try to get dpkg and smart to
co-exist for the time being
> What architectures / hardware would you support? ppc? alpha? x86 / x86_64?

x86 and x86_64 ( with legacy ppc support ) if i was targeting just
desktops , with the addition of server targets I would imagine
UltraSparc T1 Niagra ( the GPL Sun Chips ) support would be a good
target also
> On multilib capable arches (such as x86_64), would you support both 32 and 64
> bit, or go 64 bit only?

We'll in _MY_ senerio it would be hard without the patches to dpkg or
use a a 32bit chroot ( cleaner IMHO anyhow ) but incremental upgrades
even with a chroot are alot better than total 64bit untill more and more
software is ported.
> Would you go the way of Ubuntu, and work around Gnome mainly? Or the way SuSE
> traditionally was, and be mostly KDE oriented?

KDE to the end BABY !! ;) ( but again i'm a tad bias being a Kubuntu
Developer )

--
Brandon Holtsclaw
imbrandon at kubuntu.org