getting to www servers from inside where they have an Internal IP

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 10:02:13 CST 2006

--- "Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO" wrote:

>  I'm still wondering why the webserver address seems
> to change all the
> time?  Either it should have a static IP or a name
> which resolves via
> DNS.  Internal PCs should hit the hosts file first,
> then local DNS, then
> external DNS to resolve.  How many internal hosts
> (PCs)?  You can update
> a hosts file with a login script and they can be set
> to search the local
> net first, before going to the internal DNS server.
>
> So, are you changing the hostname of the server all
> the time or adding
> new ones, e.g. webserver1, webserver2, etc., or
> adding new domains all
> the time?  Considering that any of these involve
> adding a few lines to a
> text file for name resolution, ...

I am also wondering why you are constantly changing
the webserver address. I would think you would want to

to use a static IP for such an important server. If
you're
using DHCP, which is a good idea from a maintainence
perspective,
then you simply need to make a manual allocation on
the DHCP server for the webserver and any other
critical servers. Then you wouldn't have to do all
this changing all the time. Seems like you are just
making work by constanly fiddling with IP issues.
Also, like Brian and others have said, by having the
webserver in your hosts file or a local DNS, your
internal network wouldn't need to route through the
firewall. Unless, of course, you want to route through
the firewall. Although I don't see a good reason for
this other than tracking internal traffic, which could
be done other ways. Or maybe you don't trust your own
webserver. Now, if you are constantly changing the
physical webserver hardware and using DHCP all you
need do is update your DHCP server config with the new
MAC address and ... bada-bing bada-boom, all your
clients now can find your new webserver.

Brian JD