getting to www servers from inside where they have an Internal IP

Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Mon Jan 30 08:40:37 CST 2006

 I'm still wondering why the webserver address seems to change all the
time?  Either it should have a static IP or a name which resolves via
DNS.  Internal PCs should hit the hosts file first, then local DNS, then
external DNS to resolve.  How many internal hosts (PCs)?  You can update
a hosts file with a login script and they can be set to search the local
net first, before going to the internal DNS server.

So, are you changing the hostname of the server all the time or adding
new ones, e.g. webserver1, webserver2, etc., or adding new domains all
the time?  Considering that any of these involve adding a few lines to a
text file for name resolution, I agree with Frank, that this is not
hard.  Again, it could be even scriptable to add a virtual host to a
webserver and update DNS files and restart DNS if this is a frequent
occurance.