state of Missouri to archive cell phone location data?

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 09:29:03 CST 2006

enjoy

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Margaret Q <margaretq at gmail.com>
Date: Jan 28, 2006 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: MO's contract begins feb 1 in KC and St. Louis.
To: David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com>

REALLY briefly 'cuz I'm swamped.

 The state of MO has contracted with 2 engineering firms to track
divers by cell phone.

  All cellphones have tracking chips.  In modern phones - there is a
setting that allows you to disable the tracking device for all but 911
centers (which allows them to track emergency calls in case of
instances where you cannot communicate addresses).  You cannot disable
the 911 tracker.

 Starting Feb 1, the state of MO will use the SAME tracking
channel/whatever its called to track ALL motorists. If you have a cell
phone on - it is tracking you and entering your locations, times,
speeds into a database.  The database allows them to search for
specific people's records of movement as well as general area traffic
flows.  The stated reason is to collect traffic flow information to
build better roadways.  And the state hopes to begin using it to issue
traffic TICKETS by mail (hence all the personal info attached).  You
speed - they'll know.

 The deal also lets the state have access to your cell phone records.
(Which is actually amazingly easy to do.  I could get your cell phone
records if I knew JUST your name and social security number and
carrier)

 Missouri is the ONLY state to attempt this thus far.  And it is not
unlikely that this will end up in court quickly - but until then - the
govt is tracking your movement.

 At this time Kansas has no such plans.

 The system is being tested in Kansas City and Missouri beginning feb
1.  It will eventually be statewide.

 This was discussed at length on KCUR on Monday.  It is also a story
we are considering covering for our news show.

 Citizens of MO are STRONGLY encouraged to write Matt Blunt and the
Dept of Transportation and let them know you are opposed to this use
of technology and consider it invasive and an infringement on you
right to privacy.

 how this story slipped under everyone's radars (pun half intended)
until now is AMAZING.

 The point is that if your phone is ON - you are being tracked in
these areas.  Because the signal goes through cell towers - if the
phone is turned OFF, the tracking device cannot transmit information.
You cannot otherwise disable this.

 Vehicles with ONSTAR in service will be tracked regardless.  You
cannot disable that short of cancelling OnStar service.

 however - turnign off your phone  also keeps emergency dispatchers
from being able to track you in cases of emergency.

--
David L Nicol
"It is pointless to give advice and sometimes