Disappointed in Google

Jeremy Turner linuxwebguy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 12:18:28 CST 2006

On 1/7/06, Nick Manley <darkhack at gmail.com> wrote:
> Norton and RealPlayer?!
I think I would have personally picked AVG over Norton, especially
putting the free version on there.  RealPlayer?  Hmm... well, they
provide the streaming for MLB.com, so I guess I'm stuck with them.  As
a company though, Real doesn't seem as bad as they used to be.  They
contribute back to the F/OSS world with Helix, and even release a free
beer RealPlayer.  And by RealPlayer, I'm talking like RealPlayer10,
not RealOne.  It's like Windows Media Player Classic compared to
Windows Media Player 10.

> and now executable are blocked in email attachments.  Thanks
> Google.  It's nice that you are trying to protect the newbies but at the
> very least give me the option to disable it.
I think blocking executables is a good thing.  It helps slow down any
email-propigated worms from crashing my server. :)

Of course, you can simply rename the file from somefile.exe to
somefile.txt or somefile.exe.txt and send it just fine.  Is it a
hassle, yes, but I rarely send executables over email.

> Development has been crappy to say the least.
How much do you pay for Google mail again? :)

> Google Rumors about the possibility of a calendar.  Still isn't here.  I am
> not saying that I am completely expected one since it was never official and
> that Google is a free service that I am not paying for, thus they can
> provide what they want, but its been a while since Google has done anything
> worth while for their users.
I'm excited about the possibility of a Google Calendar.  I have a
couple of places where I could make use of it.  Until then, I'm not
worried about it.

Google's Summer of Code was brilliant.  You pay 450 guys a little bit
of money (a drop in the bucket in terms of Google) and not only do you
get great PR and contribute back to open source projects, but you also
have a leg up on hiring 450 guys when they graduate.  It's networking!
 And brilliant.  Something else that hasn't received as much press,
but just as brilliant is Google's Pizza Program, where they recruit
one person from each university to serve as basically Google's
ambasador, and provide free pizza and Google schwag to fellow
students. http://www.google.com/jobs/studentsg.html

As Frank mentioned, Google has introduced several tech innovations.
I'd like to add one more buzzword to the fire: AJAX.  I mean, who
heard of AJAX before Gmail?  I know I didn't.  The whole concept of a
web application acting more like a client application than a website
is a big deal.  And now, everyone wants AJAX software, from database
management, to you-name-it.  I don't know if Google invented it, but
they sure put it on the map.

Of course, evil is in the eye of the beholder.  Or something like that.

Jeremy