Amazing Xgl Demo Video

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Fri Feb 24 13:07:14 CST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 12:52 -0600, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO
wrote:
>  Do they have to repaint on MS Windows?  It seems like they do.  There
> is some feature where if you move a window around, you only see the
> outline of the window until you plop it down somewhere.  "Show contents
> while dragging" or some such.  Does this sort of thing require a
> repaint?  It always seems faster on older systems.

Yea, they do on Windows too even in 'show window contents while
dragging'. That's why when an app locks up, you don't know it until you
minimize it and then try to restore it and you get a 'dirty' surface.
The dirty area is the region of the video buffer that contained
information from other applications that hasn't get be repainted by the
application which now claims that area.

> What is the minimum video card and video ram to be able to reproduce
> this new fangled stuff?  (I didn't listen to the video commentary.)

32 MB of video RAM and something with 3D accelerationg support. The demo
was made on an ATI Radeon 9250 which came out over 2 years ago. The 7xxx
series of ATI cards also work. Nvidia cards as old as the Geforce MX
should also work.

--
Jason Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com>