proposed solution to signal to noise ratio problem

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Fri Feb 24 19:27:29 CST 2006

On Friday 24 February 2006 23:59, Jon Pruente wrote:
> On 2/22/06, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > It'll still work whereever it gets installed and configured.
> >
> > Which happens in one place: your mail server.
>
> Which assumes tht I have or even want to run a mail server.  Or any
> local server on my house.

A computer's purpose is to serve humans. A private network server isn't too
much different than a private local service (such as X and KDE), except for
technical implementations.

> And therein lie some of the headaches.
> http://www.applefritter.com/node/10053

That presumes you need a UPS. If it's a private server, you don't.

> > Unless I do something very stupid to my server, I can always surf over to
> > dashjr.org and login to get my mail.
>
> Or something bad happens to your hardware, as in the thread on my UPS
> above.

An additional mail server isn't going to make that any more likely than it
would otherwise be.
Besides, it's not much more likely to happen with my hardware as it is to
happen with Google's hardware. Sure, they'll have backups, but you should
too. (Note: with this last statement, I am somewhat a hypocrite, since I have
virtually no backups at this point due to their expense-- but they're still a
*very* good idea)

> > Huh? What headaches? Unless you're even worse than I am with keeping free
> > disk space...
>
> Local space, server space, keeping one machine alive to be a server
> for any length of time. ;)

Sure, I'm assuming you already have a computer... No need for it to be a
separate server box.

> > > So once they get their act together I can get things sorted better.
> >
> > emerge courier-imap
>
> The main difference in our methods involve running a server.  For
> 99.9% of people, that isn't even an option.

For 99.9% of people, they are indeed limited to using what others provide.
That's no reason the 0.1% of us who aren't limited as such shouldn't use our
talents.