proposed solution to signal to noise ratio problem

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Feb 22 06:58:30 CST 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 08:16, Jon Pruente wrote:
> On 2/21/06, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > eh, what happened to procmail? still works here...
>
> It'll still work whereever it gets installed and configured.

Which happens in one place: your mail server.

> No matter what I do to my machines though, I can still surf over to
> mail.google.com and login to get my mail.

Unless I do something very stupid to my server, I can always surf over to
dashjr.org and login to get my mail.

> No local storage headaches,

Huh? What headaches? Unless you're even worse than I am with keeping free disk
space...

> no maintaining multiple configs for various machines headaches,

Why would you have multiple configs?

> no "I just blew up my install and lost all my old email" headaches.

Hey, that's why you're supposed to backup, isn't it?

> I'm also not really a poweruser control freak, so I'm not very picky about
> how my mail gets handled, so long as I can sort it and read it.

Great, less procmail rules.

> > Ever heard of IMAP?
>
> Of couse. But:
> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10339&query=imap&topic=
>0&type=f
>
> So once they get their act together I can get things sorted better.

emerge courier-imap
tada!