Linux Certification

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 13:50:20 CDT 2005

--- Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Jack <quiet_celt at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- Leo Mauler wrote:
> > > Don't know much about this being a good way to
> > > find out about prospective employees.  Some of
> > > us are very good at bluffing: about four years
> > > ago I had never touched Microsoft Excel, and
> > > yet I scored 88% on the test for it for some
> > > temp agency.
> >
> > If you scored 88% on a programming test, I
> > certainly wouldn't hire you. That would mean that
> > someone would have to fix more than 10% of your
> > code. Not an exciting prospect.
>
> I only mentioned it because at the time, I actually
> scored higher than most of their applicants (who may
> well have been bluffing, poorly, as well).
>
> Naturally a hands-on programming test would be much
> more difficult.
I didn't mean to imply that 88% is a bad score for
using excel, or that you weren't worth your salt. I
really only meant that it may not be hard to fake out
a test, but if you reject anyone below say 97%, you've
got a reasonable certainty that the person knows the
material. Or is one really great guesser, in which
case, the person might be worth hiring anyway. Anyone
that can bluff a test and get a 97% on a test ought to
be bright enough to handle the job at hand. ;')

Brian D.