Linux Don'ts

kulua at linux2themax.com kulua at linux2themax.com
Thu Apr 21 17:21:01 CDT 2005

Justin Dugger <jldugger at gmail.com> wrote ..

> I don't know about SCSI, and I've only heard about ATi cards 3rd hand
> (from a lot of people).  The big problem with telling your nephew what
> brands to avoid is that the PC hardware business has multiple tiers in
> most cases.  One company designs the chips, another one makes them, a
> final one puts them on a board and markets them.  Linux drivers
> generally support chips, not brands.  For example, my wireless card
> uses the Atheros chipset, and the madwifi driver supports most all
> atheros based cards.  Thing is, you can't always look on the box and
> figure out the chipset.

Linux has enterprise support I would say that most scsi especaly older already has support.  some may have been droped due to sheer age of equipment but should pretty much all be there.  Ati=VERY BAD.  they refuse to support their products they are giving a token effert on the display drivers and refuse to support the video capture at all.  They have drug their feet at getting info to the gatos project.  The mini-itx is also a intresting area.  hit and miss support for devices and video but pretty good allaround.   jason whats wrong with nforce nicks? other then being a pita to compile drivers.

Intel nicks are the way to go in my opinion for any thing less then 1000tx but other then minor squables with hardware most is supported.  you can also tell him to look at the forums of the manufacturers ie for system boards and see what peopel are saying there about linux and that componant.

I have a dwlag 520 & 530  atheros.  I havent messed with the 530 in linux yet due to a issue with 530's hal.  I was wondering if you noticed a signal strength difference between windows and linux.  Im not getting strong signals from my 520.  my desktop can see the linksys router but not the linux server.  I coud also be configuring it wrong.