UML CASE tools

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 10:37:30 CDT 2005

--- Joe Fish wrote:
> I taught a class on UML / Introductory Java a few
> years back, and, since it
> was an intro class, fielded a lot of questions about
> UML tools.

> OTOH, there's also a F/OSS project to create a more
> complex and
> full-featured CASE tool loosely based on UML / the
> Rational Process
> here.<http://freshmeat.net/projects/argouml/>I
> looked at, and
> installed, this one as well, but found it to be
> quite a bit
> more work -- it's more like a UML
> process-development tool than anything
> (ie, very flexible, but a steep learning curve --
> and a lot of setup time,
> AFAICT, even if you already are familiar with it.)
Yeah, I installed argouml. Doesn't do what I need it
to. THere looks like an add in for doing db schemas,
but not out of the box.

I wanted to find a full-fledged UMl tool, but my
specific need was to build a db schema with E/R
diagram. None of the tools I've looked at have an
actual db graphic. The best I can hope for is to use a
UML class tool. Or use something like Gimp and draw
boxes and then add lines to seperate out the table
names and fields. It would have been nice to have a
tool to generate the SQL also. There seem to be some
experimental add-ins to dia to do this, but I don't
see any debian packages for it.

Brian D.