UML CASE tools

Joe Fish reverend.joe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 09:46:58 CDT 2005

I taught a class on UML / Introductory Java a few years back, and, since it
was an intro class, fielded a lot of questions about UML tools.

I still wouldn't really call myself and EXPERT on the subject, but I have
looked a few; it seems that, since there seems to be a close relationship
between the UML and the Java communities, that most of the tools are written
in Java. Ergo, if you're willing to install a Java VM on Linux, you should
(theoretically) be able to run most all of them.

Eclipse, which a lotta people seem to like, has a (commercial) plug-in
module <http://www.omondo.com/product.html> to do UML modelling, I've not
used Eclipse a lot, but have loaded and looked at on Linux without too much
trouble.

On Windows, I looked quite a variety of free tools and used this
tool<http://www.esm.jp/jude-web/en/index.html>myself for a project at
my last job -- there were no specs and I wanted
something cheap (ie, free as in beer) to just get my design thoughts on
"paper" in an easily-modifiable form, so that I could brainstorm ... with
myself. So it's not, to my mind, AS much of a full-scale CASE tool, if
that's what you're looking for, but if you need ONLY what you mention in the
O.P. (DB relationship / UML Class diagrams) it should fit the bill pretty
well (and you can't beat the price). I found it to be pretty intuitive and
stable on Windows. Haven't tried on Linux myself, so YMMV.

OTOH, there's also a F/OSS project to create a more complex and
full-featured CASE tool loosely based on UML / the Rational Process
here.<http://freshmeat.net/projects/argouml/>I looked at, and
installed, this one as well, but found it to be quite a bit
more work -- it's more like a UML process-development tool than anything
(ie, very flexible, but a steep learning curve -- and a lot of setup time,
AFAICT, even if you already are familiar with it.)

Then there's always the big
dog<http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/developer/rose/unix/>in
the field ... if you're not all that attached to your (or your
employer's) money. (Hey, at least there's a free evaluation, right?)

Hope it helps ...

JOE