Migrating to Linux - WP

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Apr 14 06:31:42 CDT 2005

On Wed, April 13, 2005 12:30 pm, Jack said:
> --- Jeremy Turner wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 01:07:43PM -0500, Jonathan
>> Hutchins wrote:
>>> It's my understanding that oo2 no longer runs on
>>> Linux, but requires Java instead.

>> So you can do things like type and print, but
>> getting into more complex
>> features would require a JRE.

So it appears that oo has decided to use Java for functions somewhat like
MS Offices uses Visual Basic.  "Document Wizards" are a Microsoftian evil,
but some amount of macro scripting is useful for things like invoice
systems.

> One I don't see why using java is an issue. Java runs
> fine on Linux. Yeah I know all the *Evil Sun* issues.

> Anyway from what I understand the "free JREs" don't
> necessarily work well with OO.

I'm no license nazi - the problem is just that, which Java do you install?
 Sun?  IBM?  Does a free "JRE" include all of the components that OO
expects?  Do I need a JRE, a JVM, or a JDK?  It is a whole OS, if one is
to believe the "virtual machine" terminology they use, and I object to
having to maintain an entire OS for one or two applications.  Choosing,
installing, and maintaining a Java distribution to support a single app is
a bit like installing Microsoft Office Professional to edit a one-page
text file, if there were multiple versions of Office to choose from.